Tensioners Idlers & Dampers
Tensioners, Idlers and Dampers
Tensioners, idlers and dampers work together to consistently synchronise your timing belt car parts for optimum efficiency.
Tensioners are spring-loaded rotating pulleys; these ensure that the timing belt doesn’t slacken.
Idler pulleys guide the timing belt around ancillary features.
Dampers, also known as shock absorbers, co-ordinate with the idlers to maintain the tension of the timing belt.
How do I know that my tensioners, idlers and dampers need to be replaced?
- Your engine makes a whining noise and/or overheats.
- Your engine warning light is illuminated.
- Your tensioners or idlers are corroded.
- Your tensioner arms are cracked or misaligned.
- An idler is chipped in the belt tracking area.
- Your dampers are oil-stained.
Why do my tensioners, idlers and dampers need to be replaced?
- Your tensioners, idlers and dampers are excessively worn due to wear and tear and/or environmental factors.
- Your tensioners have been incorrectly installed.
- Your tensioner arms no longer have any resistance in their range of motion.
- Your idler bearings have failed.
How do I replace my tensioners, idlers and dampers?
If your tensioners, idlers or dampers become worn or fail, you risk serious engine damage. Ensure that these car parts are checked – and replaced – by a mechanical expert.
To identify the tensioners, idlers and dampers for your vehicle, enter your car details into our car part finder.
Tensioner, idler and damper brands stocked by DIY Car Service Parts
- V-Ribbed Belt Tensioner Arm Lever 43680 by Febi Bilstein£30.57 £25.47
- Idler Arm Lever ADN187157C by Blue Print Front Axle Right£581.60 £484.67
- Idler Arm Lever ADN187130 by Blue Print Front Axle£45.57 £37.97
- Steering Lever 42715 by Febi Bilstein Front Axle Left£323.99 £269.99
- Idler Arm Lever ADT387131 by Blue Print Front Axle£156.33 £130.27
- Idler Arm Lever ADN187113 by Blue Print Front Axle£58.12 £48.43