Antifreeze protects your engine from corrosion, prevents the build-up of scale, and aids heat transfer.
How does antifreeze work?
Antifreeze, or engine coolant, is an additive that lowers the freezing point of water in your car. This prevents freezing when temperatures plummet so that you can travel smoothly on even the coldest winter days.
On hot days, the coolant prevents your engine from overheating by increasing the boiling temperature of the water in your vehicle.
Without coolant, you risk engine damage – and expensive repairs.
Which antifreeze do I need?
You can buy engine coolant in two forms: ready-mixed or concentrate. The coolant is made from ethylene glycol or propylene glycol.
Check the recommended coolant for your vehicle using our car part finder.
How do I replace my antifreeze?
If your antifreeze doesn’t reach the ‘full’ marker on your coolant reservoir when your engine is cold, remove the radiator pressure cap and pour a 50/50 mix of coolant and water to meet the marker.
Antifreeze brands stocked by DIY Car Service Parts
- Xstream G30 Antifreeze & Coolant - Concentrated - 2 Litre XSR2L COMMA£13.50 £11.25
- Xstream G40 Concentrated Antifreeze & Coolant - 20 litre XSG4020L COMMA£125.52 £104.60
- Xstream G40 Antifreeze & Coolant - Concentrated - 5 Litre XSG405L COMMA£34.55 £28.79
- Xstream G40 Antifreeze & Coolant - Concentrated - 2 Litre XSG402L COMMA£13.90 £11.58
- Xstream G48 Antifreeze & Coolant - Concentrated - 2 Litre XSG2L COMMA£13.50 £11.25
- Xstream G48 Antifreeze & Coolant - Concentrated - 5 Litre XSG5L COMMA£32.80 £27.33
- Xstream G05 Heavy Duty Antifreeze & Coolant Concentrated 20 Litre XHD20L COMMA£122.58 £102.15
- Xstream G48 Antifreeze & Coolant - Concentrated - 20 Litre XSG20L COMMA£120.92 £100.77